About Me

Thursday, December 11, 2014

This Guy


A few weeks ago, as I was photographing in the city, I met this man. I was across the street from 30th Street train station, and he was on the other side, picking up some trash. And he was having fun with it, bouncing from here and there, picking up pieces of refuse. He bounded his way across the street to the trash can, and deposited.
Along the entire way, I fiddled with my camera trying to get it ready for a picture, and I finally was only able to snap a few, like the one above.
We started getting into, not an argument, but more like a spirited conversation as we walked towards the train station. We talked about the relationship between a photographer/artist and their subject, and issues of people taking pictures of poor or homeless people, and how almost callous it may feel for nearly all cases. He mentioned how it was akin to taking a physical thing from them.

Later, he tried teaching me disarming methods, as he handed me a pair of scissors and told me to thrust at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment